A set of healthy teeth and gums doesn’t come by chance — you must work for it all your life! Good oral hygiene isn’t just excellent for your gums and teeth. It protects your overall health from heart disease, bone loss, and other health complications.
Dr. Stephen Alfano in Balboa Island Dentistry, Newport Beach, California, not only creates beautiful smiles with cosmetic dentistry. We offer oral hygiene services to ensure your stunning smile is supported by strong teeth and healthy gums.
Tips for good oral hygiene
Good oral hygiene is the core of preventive dentistry. Diligent oral care prevents oral diseases that require costly and time-consuming restorative treatments. But what does it take to keep your mouth healthy? Follow the tips below from Dr. Alfano.
- Brush and floss daily: Brush twice daily and floss at least once daily to keep oral diseases and bad breath in check. You should brush for at least two minutes in circular motions. Be sure to cover all areas of your mouth, including the tongue. Use dental floss between teeth and all the way to your gum level to clean tight spaces inaccessible by your toothbrush
- Eat healthy foods: Limit sugary and acidic foods. Increase the intake of leafy greens and fruits with antioxidant properties. While at it, don’t forget to keep your mouth hydrated
- Quit smoking: Tobacco use stains your teeth and weakens your immunity, making your mouth a target for gum disease. In addition, smoking is bad for your heart and lungs, so quit it altogether
- Guard your teeth: If you are active in sports or suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding), consider a custom mouth guard from your dentist to protect your teeth
- Bi-annual dental checkups: We recommend seeing a dentist at least twice yearly to complement your excellent work at home. During dental exams, we can detect and treat oral problems that may have passed your notice
Have you fallen back on your oral hygiene routine? It’s never too late to create a healthy, winning smile.
If you want a trusted dental home in Newport Beach, CA, you can count on Balboa Island Dentistry. Please call (949) 673-7820 to join our dental family.
Share this Article